Wednesday 4 May 2011

LOVE poems

 My Love in her Attire...





My love in her attire doth show her wit,
It doth so well become her:
For every season she hath dressings, fit,
For winter, spring, and summer.
No beauty she doth miss,
When all her robes are on:
But Beauty's self she is,
When all her robes are gone.
My Love in Her Attire Author Unknown

The Heart Asks...





The heart asks pleasure first
And then, excuse from pain;
And then those little anodynes
That deaden suffering,
And then to go to sleep
And then, if it should be,
The will of its Inquisitor
The liberty to die!+


I Gave Myself to Him...





I gave myself to him
And took himself for pay.
The solemn contract of a life
Was ratified this way

The value might disappoint
Myself a poorer prove
Than this my purchaser suspect
The daily own of love.

Depreciates the sight
But, 'till the merchant buy,
Still fabled, in the isles of spice
The subtle cargoes lie.

At least, "'tis mutual risk"
(Some found it mutual gain)
Sweet debt of life -each night to owe,
Insolvent every noon!

I Should Not Dare...





I should not dare to leave my friend,
Because if he should die
While I was gone and I---too late,
Should reach the heart that wanted me,

If I should disappoint the eyes
That hunted, hunted so, to see
And could not bear to shut until
He noticed me--he noticed me,

If I should stab the patient faith
So sure I’d come--so sure I’d come
It listening, listening went to sleep
Reciting my tardy name.

My heart would wish it broke before
Since breaking then, since breaking then,
Is useless as next morning’s sun
To erase a midnight’s tear!

Love's Philosophy....





Fountains mingle with the river,
And the rivers with the ocean
The winds of heaven mix forever,
With a sweet emotion;
Nothing in the world is single;
All things by a law divine
In one another's being mingle:
--Why not I with thine?
See! The mountains kiss high heaven,
And the waves clasp one another;
No sister flower would be forgiven
If it disdained its brother;
And the sunlight clasps the earth,
And the moonbeams kiss the sea:
--What are all these kissings worth,
If thou kiss not me?
 
A Book of Verse...





A book of verse, underneath the bough,
A jug of wine, a loaf of bread--and thou
Beside me singing in the wilderness--
Ah, wilderness were paradise enow!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment